Southern In Law - Australian Lifestyle Blog About Kristy and Jesse - Australian Lifestyle Blog Long Distance Relationship Advice Success Story Healthy Gluten Free Recipe Blog Gluten Free Coeliac Travel Reviews and Recommendations
The Ultimate Board Game Guide  What Should I Read Next The Bookshelf Ultimate Book Recommendation Guide
Want to follow our adventures? Find us on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest!

Reading on your phone or tablet?
This blog is best viewed on the web version. Simply scroll down
and hit "View Web Version" at the bottom of the page - or click for our web home page

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Recipe: Carrot and Apple Muffins and a Review of the Tefal Fresh Express

Healthy Carrot and Apple Muffins - Clean Eating Recipe


Yesterday I shared my Refrigerator Grocery Staples with you - and today I'm sharing a delicious recipe and my favourite kitchen gadget of the moment!

This recipe is a winner - it contains both a fruit and a vegetable and is so delicious no one will ever know. That means it's perfect for fussy kids (or partners! ;P). 


The Tefal Fresh Express Review
But, you're probably like me and thinking My gosh.. think of all that grating - uggh. That's where my favourite kitchen gadget comes into play.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Tefal Fresh Express from my friends at Kitchenware Direct.

The Tefal Fresh express is basically an electric grater - it does all of the work for you.

At first I thought I'd use it for recipes like Carrot Cake Oatmeal and Zucchini Banana Muffins - but little did I know I would be using it daily. 

The Fresh Express makes it really easy to add extra veggies to everything - I am always grating up carrots or zucchinis and adding them into what I'm cooking.

Low Fat Carrot and Apple Muffin Recipe

Here's a quick video of the different blades (there's 5 for different types of foods and grating needs) and to show you how quickly it grates! The Tefal Fresh Express definitely halved the prep time for this recipe - all I had to do was slightly chop up the apple and peel the carrot and it was time to grate. The only slight problem was that it wasn't a fan of the apple peel but that came out of the machine without any trouble. Now lets get onto the recipe, shall we? 

Here's the recipe! >> 


Muffins, Healthy, Gluten Free
Snacks
Yield: 12 muffins

Carrot and Apple Muffin Recipe

These Carrot and Apple Muffins are perfect for sneaking in a little extra veggies in a kid friendly muffin!
prep time: 15 minscook time: 20 minstotal time: 35 mins

ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups Plain Flour/Gluten Free Flour/Whole Wheat Flour (or a mix)
  • 1/4 cup Oatmeal, ground
  • 2 tbsp Flaxseed, ground
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup Honey (or sweetener of choice)
  • 1 cup Carrot, grated using the Orange Tefal Fresh Express Cone
  • 1 medium Apple, grated using the Orange Tefal Fresh Express Cone
  • 2/3 cup Applesauce
  • 1 Egg or 1/3 cup Egg Whites or 1/3 cup extra Applesauce (I use Naturegg Simply Egg Whites)

instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F
  2. In a bowl, mix flour, oatmeal, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
  3. In another bowl, stir together eggs (or replacement), applesauce, honey and grated carrot and apple.
  4. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
  5. Spoon into muffin tins and bake for around 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted removes clean.
Created using The Recipes Generator



So tell me, what's your favourite kitchen gadget? 



12 comments:

  1. those look delicious and super healthy, too. Healthy muffins are the best! My favorite appliance would have to be my mini-food processor that is sadly back in the states. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! You'll have to get yourself an Australian twin ;P Kmart have ones that are cheap and good - double win in my books :)

      Delete
  2. The muffins look so yummy! I love cinnamon flavored things. I like how it's healthy too. I wonder if it tastes like carrot cake? I know there's apple but I'm just wondering. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Helen,
      It does taste a bit like carrot cake - you can't taste the apple on its own at all, but I think it does add a flavour boost :)

      Delete
  3. That gadget sounds awesome! I want a spiraler! And I want a food processor, and mixer, and breadmaker.....the list goes on :P

    Also I am requesting a post topic- what to buy from iherb. I went on their the other day and totally blanked out on things to buy. I always think of stuff to get when Im not on it then forget when I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I want a spiraliser too - but they're SO expensive! So far I have sufficed with this and a julienne peeler (seriously think about getting one of those - I have the Zyliss Julienne peeler and it is incredible!)

      I will definitely be putting together an iHerb post! Generally speaking, I only buy food products from there - plus a couple of supplements - but I LOVE the site.

      Delete
  4. What do you use to grind your oatmeal and flaxseed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jullie, I use a Magic Bullet - but you can also use a food processor, coffee/spice grinder, mortar and pestle (though it's a bit of a workout!) or high speed blender! :)

      Delete
  5. Hi! I've made these at least 3 times since I pinned this. Sometimes with egg, sometimes with the extra applesauce, and once I didn't have the flax, so I used chia seeds.......all three ways turned out beautifully! My kids love them and so do I. Thank you so much for this delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Teresa, you are so sweet! Thank you so much for leaving a comment - I'm so glad you love them!

      If you ever take a pic of a batch, send it through - I'd love to feature it in our weekly newsletter! xx

      Delete

There is nothing better than reading your comments on our posts! Let us know what you think of this post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...